What is a downspout extension
A downspout extension is a pipe that carries rainwater from your gutters to a safe location away from your foundation. Gutter downspout extensions are a vital part of any home’s gutter system. Without them, water would simply pour off of the roof and onto the ground, causing extensive damage to the foundation.
One of the best ways to protect your home from water damage is to install a downspout extension. Gutter downspout extensions are installed at the end of the gutter system and direct water away from the house. They can be made of various materials, including plastic, metal, or even concrete.
While most homes come with downspouts that are adequate for managing rainwater, heavier rains can overwhelm even the best-designed system.
For this reason, many homeowners choose to install downspout extensions to give their homes an extra measure of protection against the elements.
A downspout extender is a device that is installed at the base of a downspout to redirect rainwater away from the foundation of a home. They are typically made of plastic or metal, and they can be placed either on the ground or underground.
The extender ensure that rainwater is directed away from vulnerable areas. Many downspout extenders also come with a built-in filter, which helps to catch leaves and debris before they have a chance to clog the downspout.
Downspout extenders are a simple and affordable way to protect your home from water damage, and they should be installed by a qualified professional.
Here are some of the best downspout extensions on the market today.
You can order online from Amazon
Benefits of Downspout extension to your home.
- By extending the downspout away from the foundation of the house, they help to prevent water damage and soil erosion;
- A good choice for flood-prone areas: Downspout extensions can also help to reduce the risk of flooding by directing water away from areas prone to flooding.
- In addition, they can also reduce the risk of mold growth by keeping the area around your foundation dry.
- Downspout extensions are relatively inexpensive and easy to install, making them an ideal solution for anyone looking to improve the drainage around their home.
Tips for Maintaining your downspout extension.
Downspouts ensure that water is properly diverted away from your foundation. Here are a few tips for maintaining your downspout extension so that it lasts as long as possible!
- – Regularly check the connection between the downspout and the extension to make sure it is secure.
- – Inspect the extension for any cracks or holes, and repair as necessary.
- – Clear any debris that may have accumulated in or around the extension.
- – If you live in an area with freezing temperatures, take steps to prevent the extension from freezing by insulating it or using heat tape.
By following these simple tips, you can help to ensure that your downspout extension is properly maintained and functioning as intended.
Unclogging Downspout safely and effectively!
Downspouts can become clogged over time – However, If your downspouts are clogged, it can cause water to back up and potentially damage your home.
While there are some do-it-yourself methods for unclogging a downspout, it’s always best to hire a professional. We at HomeFingers Exteriors have the tools and experience needed to safely and effectively unclog your downspouts, preventing further damage to your home. contact us for a free estimate today.
How do you install a downspout extension on your own home?
Gutter downspout extensions should be installed by a professional to ensure that they are properly secure and functioning correctly. But if you have experience in roof and gutter installation and downspout extension, installing a downspout extension can be a relatively simple process that can be done in a few easy steps:
- First, measure the length of the downspout and mark where you want to cut it.
- Use a saw to cut the downspout at the marked location. Once the downspout extender has been cut, fit the extension onto the end of the downspout and secure it with screws or bolts.
- Finally, attach the extension to the gutter using brackets or hangers. With a little time and effort, you can easily install a downspout extension on your own home.